Texas Military Base Housing 2019-nCoV Quarantines
Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland will house people quarantined for potential 2019nCoV exposure
Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA) Lackland announced it will provide housing for American citizens quarantined due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
At least 250 people are arriving in San Antonio, Texas, who will be subject to Federal Quarantine.
These individuals will be housed during the quarantine period at the Gateway Inn and the Gateway Villa through February 29, 2020, by request of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
The people quarantined will not have access to any other JBSA-Lackland locations and will be continuously monitored by the HHS and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) staff.
A town-hall meeting on February 5, 2020, will enable representatives from HHS and the CDC to discuss concerns with local residents.
‘HHS will be responsible for all care of the evacuees,’ said Alyssa Farah, the Department of Defense (DOD) Press Secretary, as reported by JBSA.mil.
Furthermore, DOD personnel will not be directly in contact with the evacuees.
While this new coronavirus is a very serious public health threat, CDC officials said the immediate health risk to the US general public as low.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, according to the CDC. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread.
JBSA officials said this support will not negatively impact readiness or critical operations. JBSA personnel will not be directly in contact with the evacuees.
JBSA leadership has stated that their primary responsibility is the safety of our force, our families and our base communities. This is an evolving situation, and related information will be provided to families and the community as available, said this statement.
The 37th Training Wing located at JBSA will continue to receive new basic trainees and events will continue as usual. People with concerns can contact the JBSA commander at [email protected] using the subject line “Feedback Fridays.”
Previously, the Acting Homeland Secretary Chad F. Wolf issued instructions supplementing a decision issued on January 31, 2020, and directed all flights from China and all passengers who have traveled to China within the last 14 days to be routed through 11 U.S. airports.
At these 11 US airports, enhanced screening procedures and the capacity to quarantine passengers have been established. Selected individuals could be quarantined at Travis Air Force Base, the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, Lackland Air Force Base in Texas and the 168th Regiment Regional Training Institute in Colorado.
To better notify international travelers of their health risks, the CDC recently updated a Level 3 Travel Alert on February 4, 2020, which recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to the People’s Republic of China.
As of the morning of February 5, 2020, China reported 24,433 confirmed cases of the 2019-nCoV virus, with 23,260 suspected cases, and 3,219 severe cases and 493 related fatalities, which is an increase of 68 fatalities in one day.
In the USA, the CDC reported (82) nCoV specimens pending testing results by the CDC and (11) 2019-nCoV cases in the USA confirmed since January 21st.
Recently, a 2nd Person-To-Person virus transmission was confirmed in the USA, as of 2/3/20.
Coronavirus outbreak news is published at Coronavrius Today.com.